Friday, June 25, 2010

Endings and beginnings

I am approaching the end of my time in Spain. I have traveled, seen things that I could never have imagined seeing, gone places that I would never have pictured myself going, tried things that I would never try back home. I have met some of the most incredible people, lost contact with others and learned who my true friends are. I have come to realize that no matter where I am in the world that I have such a strong support system that I would have no idea how to live without.
June has been the busiest, craziest month here. I left for a European adventure: Milan, Venice, Rome, Valencia, Madrid, London and back to Castellon. Two weeks of non-stop traveling, seeing tons of things, taking thousands of pictures, learning how to be patient and not stress out over train delays or language barriers. I was in Italy with a friend and that was an adventure in and of its self, trying to get over our different opions sometimes and just learn to compromise. Compromise and trust were the biggest things that I learned in Italy; giving up on certain things but staying firm on others that I felt strongly about (like not wanting to just do two days in Rome to be able to have a day in Florence; I was pleased that we decided to take our time and enjoy Rome). Accepting that getting lost was inevitable and asking for directions. Accepting that I was wrong (a hard thing for me to do). Eating tons of pizza, I mean tons of pizza. Tasting the most amazing gelatto. Realizing that I was in the same place that had so much meaning to so many people (I felt that was about the Vatican in particular).
Madrid was completely different. I stayed with Willie Waisath which was nice to be able to see a Coe alum. Madrid was definitely different than I expected it to be, but I was able to see museums and just enjoy the nice weather that we had when I was there.
London. That was the loneliest that I felt my entire time here. I was by myself, but it was a different kind of by myself, in a big city without someone to talk to while having dinner or taking pictures of me. It was nice, but lonely. I did a bus tour, which was nice because I was there for two nights and two days. I saw the changing of the guards and met some really nice American tourists. But it was lonely.
Castellon. Busy, studying for exams, feeling like I was getting no where with studying because there was so much to go over. Finally being able to breath and enjoy the summer weather after a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. This entire past week has just been Nancy relazxing time: sitting by the pool tanning, going for runs almost every morning, shopping for gifts, drinks with friends, coffee with the people that are coming to Coe, dinner with other friends and their visiting parents, hanging out with my Spanish friends, getting to experience San Juan (the longest day of the year when everyone goes to the beach and at midnight jumps the first three waves and makes a wish for every wave. They also write down all the bad things that have happened this year and burn them in a bonfire to start fresh).
Now I sit here in my room and think about how much I have changed these past five months, how much I have stayed the same. All of the things that I have felt over the past few months, all of the things that I have done and seen. All of the people that I met and the ones that I am going to be so sad to leave. How it's going to be sad to leave, but how ready (more than ready) I am to go home and see all of my family and friends. How ready I am to go home and eat a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich, drive myself places, run with my dog, go to the mountains, take my nephew to the zoo. How nervous I am about returning to Coe after being gone after an entire year.
Just sitting here looking at my packed bags, ready to leave to Barcelona for a few days before hopping on a plane for 2.5 hours to London then to Denver (9 hours and 45 mins!). It's been an amazing semester, but I am just at the point where I am ready to go, ready to get back. Anxious to get back. I am going to be so sad to say good bye to all of the amazing people I have met here, especially since most of them I won't see ever again. But this journey had to come to an end eventually. It has been an incredible experience and I am so glad that I did it. It definitely made me appreciate things more. I am so blessed to have gotten to experience all that I have. I am never going to forget my time here, it has been one of the most interesting experiences in my life. I know that whatever new adventures await me will be great as well and that this experience will add to those. So hasta pronto Espana. Te echare de menos, pero un dia espero regresar!

No comments:

Post a Comment